National SuppoRTT Guide: Return to training (COVID-19)
Supported Return to Training (SuppoRTT) is a funded initiative from Health Education England, which offers help to trainees who have been out of training for three or more months, to enable a safe, confident and structured return to work.
In the context of the NHS efforts against the COVID pandemic, we have been contacted by many trainees who were due to return to work soon, or those who are looking at returning early. This in no way constitutes official advice to end your leave or to return early; but will hopefully help those who are returning now.
Where face to face training may be cancelled, there is a lot of material online which you can access remotely. Below you will find some relevant information in this guide: preparing ahead for SuppoRTT meetings, clinical updates, COVID19 resources and links for training and recruitment updates. We will also be sending a list of remote learning resources for basic and generic skills which can be accessed from home soon.
We appreciate that this uncertain time may provide added challenges on top of those which accompany any return to training, and we want you to know that we are in your corner and working to help you as a doctor who can make a difference in these unprecedented events. We will update you if there are changes to the National and Local SuppoRTT Programme or process as a result of the pandemic, as soon as we find out.
Dr Hiu Lam, Associate Dean, Peninsula Professional Support & Development
Dr Adam Malin, Associate Dean, Severn Professional Support & Development
Health Education England, working across the South West
Where to get information about SuppoRTT
HEE SuppoRTT Forms & Procedures
The SuppoRTT Pre-Return Meeting remains important particularly in terms of accessing funding for supernumerary periods and helping trusts cover the costs towards this, under pandemic strain.
Supervisors will be time pressured due to clinical duties and we suggest that you prepare for the meeting in advance. Here are some useful videos about the meeting, which can help you plan:
How to apply for SuppoRTT Video: https://youtu.be/nHuad4omqXE
Return to Clinical Practice Video 3: https://londonpaediatrics.co.uk/current-trainees/returning-to-clinical-practice/pracp-videos/
South West SuppoRTT Processes
Our advice would be to pre-empt contact with your Supervisor, HR/medical recruitment, Rota coordinator, occupational health, department manager in advance, where possible, particularly when adjusted duties may be required on return. Please refer to the South West SuppoRTT Website in particular please look at the Support Process and Online Forms.
Our Local and National Courses and Webinars web page will soon be updated with details of courses and workshops that are available via Skype/Zoom.
We also have SuppoRTT Champions based in each Trusts for contact details please click on the following link: SuppoRTT Champions. If you are not able to contact your local SuppoRTT Champion please email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find the answers to your questions.
Online Resources for Clinical Updates & e-Learning
RCP e-Learning: https://learning.rcpe.ac.uk/
RCEM Learning https://www.rcemlearning.co.uk/
RCPSG e-Learning: https://rcpsg.ac.uk/elearning#Physicians
Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine Learning: https://ficmlearning.org/
RCEM Clinical Updates: https://www.rcem.ac.uk/RCEM/Quality_Policy/Clinical_Standards_Guidance/RCEM/Quality-Policy/Clinical_Standards_Guidance/Clinical_Standards_Guidance.aspx?hkey=9c68a641-1003-468a-81dc-48e3b4926c01
Critical Care Education Updates: https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/events-professional-development/education-professional-development/rcoa-videos/critical-care
Returner Remote Learning Resources
The National Fellows will compile a resource bank of generic & specialty specific learning material and this will be sent out to everyone shortly. The SuppoRTT offices will also be converting their usual courses and workshops to Skype/Zoom (check the regional SuppoRTT websites).
How to prepare for Return to Training (COVID-19)
Where to get up to date information about COVID 19
The following sources of learning material have been compiled:
- ICM Cross-skill training for COVID-19: https://icmanaesthesiacovid-19.org/cross-skilling
- Association of Anaesthetists: https://anaesthetists.org/Home/Resources-publications/COVID-19-guidance (Webinar created 14/03/2020)
- King’s Critical Care - Evidence Summary of Clinical Management of COVID-19 (created 09/03/2020) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eo14SWJvIHvblBBXwm3AGosTomaa6oMF/view
- New England Journal of Medicine: https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032?articleTools=true
- Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus
- BMJ: https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/3000168
- Paeds: https://dontforgetthebubbles.com/evidence-summary-paediatric-covid-19-literature/
The following are sources where you will find the up to date guidance around COVID and PPE
- AMoRC: https://www.aomrc.org.uk/covid-19/ (guidance)
- NHS England and NHS Improvement coronavirus: www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/
- PHE (COVID19): https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/wuhan-novel-coronavirus
- PHE guidance for Health Professionals: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-guidance#guidance-for-health-professionals
- PPE (guidance): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control
- Patient Info: https://bestpractice.bmj.com/patient-leaflets/en-gb/pdf/3000166/Coronavirus.pdf
Training & Recruitment Updates
- COVID Specialty Training updates: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk/Coronavirus-COVID-19
- COVID Info for trainees: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/coronavirus-information-trainees
- HEE COVID Info: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/coronavirus-covid-19
- Letter HEE Deputy Medical Director: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19%20letter%20to%20Trusts%20and%20GP%20Practices%2010.03.2020.pdf
- Current GMC guidance can also be found here: www.gmc-uk.org/news/news-archive/coronavirus-information-and-advice/our-guidance-for-doctors
- HEE Policy & Procedure for major outbreaks https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Policy%20and%20Procedure%20for%20Management%20of%20Pandemic%20and%20Major%20Infectious%20Disease%20Outbreaks_0.pdf
Advice for sustaining staff wellbeing in critical care during and beyond covid-19 (Intensive Care Society)
COVID-19 and Occupational Health (OH) in the NHS (Faculty of Occupational Medicine)
Supporting doctors in the event of a Covid-19 epidemic in the UK (GMC Joint Statement)
Professional Support & Wellbeing Team (PSW)
The Professional Support & Wellbeing Team have resources to better help trainees through this difficult time. For more details please click on the following link: South West PSW or email: email@example.com