Academic Anaesthesia and Critical Care within the Bristol School of Anaesthesia
We have a flourishing and successful academic program in Severn region through with the Clinical Academic Training School and in partnership with the University of Bristol. We have an integrated training pathway for academic anaesthetists from academic foundation through to lecturer level.
- Academic Foundation Program – we take one to two trainees per year onto our popular program.
- NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow positions have been available in region over the past five years. These posts in Anaesthesia or Intensive Care have tailored clinical rotations that provide excellent clinical training and experience. A core component is a completely protected six month block of time for research projects. To date we have a 100% track record in obtaining PhD funding for our fellows.
- NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer position – appointed for the first time this year to a four year 50:50 Clinical : Research position providing a specialist training package alongside unique research opportunities.
- STAR a thriving and active trainee research grouping which is increasing the opportunities to participate in national and regional studies.
Our research projects are chosen to suit the interests of the applicants, in line with their career and academic aspirations. We are able to offer either basic science or clinical projects within Bristol Neuroscience, Bristol CardioVascular for example or within the clinical academic teams in either North Bristol NHS Trust or University Hospitals Bristol.
Trainee projects currently underway include:
- Role of the Carotid Body in Hypertension
- Neonatal cardioprotection by targeting EPAC.
- Neuroprotective actions of Xenon anaesthesia in the developing brain.
- Role of CRH neurones in autonomic counter-regulation for hypoglycaemia.
See the newsletter for a list of our trainees achievements.